HP printer lets its users’ printer via offline and online modes. This eases with minimal effort to send a printer command. Mostly acquired by corporate domain, HP wireless printers help them to take prints even from their desks. Regardless, you come across ‘HP Printer Is Not Detected’ on your computer’s screen. This may compel you to think why is my HP printer not working. It is not necessary that the printer is faulty, other factors can also cause ‘printer is not detected’ error.
Users generally see the error message of Printer Is Not Detected when the printer is not properly connected or installed. If you are wondering why is my printer not working, you must do a basic check and analyze the cause of why the printer is not detected.
Step 1: Analyze printer setup and connections
- Determine whether the printer is connected with the computer properly or not
- Try reconnecting the chords firmly
- Make sure your computer has a compatible HP printer driver
- If you are attempting to print wirelessly, determine if the computer and printer are connected to a stable and same network
- If your computer has a pre-installed printer driver, make sure it has detected the printer and is also compatible with it
After performing all these basic checks proceed manually by the steps below and check if ‘HP Printer Is Not Detected’ is still occurring.
Step2: Remove the printer and printer driver from your computer
- Open Control panel Or Setting
- Go to Devices and Printers
- Click on the printer icon and select the ‘Remove Device’ option
- Power off the printer and detach the all the chords with the computer
- From Control Panel, go to Program and Features
- Uninstall the printer driver
In case have not installed printer driver yet, skip the above steps and proceed with the set of instructions below.
Step3: Reinstall/ Install HP printer driver
- Go to Support HP website, the Official HP webpage
- Click Support
- Select Software and driver from the drop down
- Click on the Printer icon
- Enter your HP printer’s model number or name
- Choose the operating system you are using
- Click on your printer from the list
- You will have the option to download the HP printer driver compatible with the printer model you have
- Click download and complete the installation by following the on-screen process
Step 4: Connect your printer with your computer
How to add a local printer with computer?
- Go to Control Panel open double click Devices and Printers
- Below ‘Printer and devices’ option, click Add a Printer
- A pop window will appear asking you to add printer
- Select a ‘Add a local printer’
- Click on “Create a new port” option and pick “Local Port” as the type of the port
- Enter Port name and click Next
- Select HP from the ‘Manufacture’ column and model name or number from Printer column
- If you do not see your printer name or model number, click Update Windows
- Click Next and let the installation finish
Do you still see printer not detected windows 10 error? In such a case, take help from HP support assistant to know the cause. You can also get in touch with a customer support executive to find the fix.
Alternatively, if you are facing ‘HP Printer Is Not Detected’ error, try to add your printer with a wireless network. To get rid of ‘printer not detected by computer’ error, add it via a wireless network by following the steps below.
How to add a network, Wireless, or Bluetooth printer with computer?
- Click the Start button and press Printers & Drivers
- From the top bar, click Add a printer
- Select Add a network, wireless, or Bluetooth printer
- Make sure to connect your printer with the same network/ turn on the Wi-Fi button on your printer’s display and add the printer to the same network as your computer
- Wait for the system to detect your printer
- Click on the printer from the list and proceed to print
With this proper connection, you will no longer see Printer Is Not Detected error.